Monday, April 1, 2013

The Month in Review

March turned out to be a prolific reading month.  It would be awesome to make seven books a month my norm but I'm not making any promises.  Everything I read was really good with only National Book Award winner Goblin Secrets by William Alexander failing to make any impression on me at all.  I preferred fellow short list nominee Out of Reach by Carrie Arcos, but those are the only two from the young adult category that I read.   

I'm hoping that Everybody has Everything by Katrina Onstad wins all kinds of awards upon it's US release. 

Sweethearts, Code Name: Verity, and Permeable Borders were all surprises in one way or another.  If any of those books sounds exciting I wouldn't hesitate to recommend anyone them.  The Ersatz Elevator by Lemony Snicket rounded out my reading or the month (and I was upset that I didn't get to see more of the Quagmire triplets).

I did buy a lot of books this month.  Most of which was stuff that I had already read, but enjoyed and wanted to own: Inkheart, and it's follow up Inkspell by Cornelia Funke; the previously mentioned Goblin Secrets; The Arabian Nightmare by Robert Irwin; Once Was Lost by Sara Zarr (who I'm seriously in love with); Hate List Jennifer Brown; The Magician King by Lev Grossman; and Everybody Has Everything by Onstad.

Expect The Arabian Nightmare and Inkspell to be discussed soon.  Right after Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan.  (Which is kinda really awesome.)  I'm kinda bummed that my library doesn't yet have a listing for Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare especially since it came out the nineteenth.  Actually I don't understand how this is...  Oh Well...

I'm not planning on seven books for April.  The rain has stopped.  Baseball has begun and the Braves--as ever--are already working on my nerves.  Spring and springishness is in full effect.  I'll do what I can on the reading front but I see a lot of other activities vying for my time in the coming weeks. 

Oh, and 'vying' might be might least favorite spelling of an irregular English language word ever.

No comments: