Friday, September 21, 2012

Acting on Yesterday

So I traded in all that stuff that talked about yesterday and then, in stumbling around the young adult (worst fiction genre appellation ever) section, hit the lottery.

I didn't rave enough last year about exactly how good Firebirds Soaring was, but I did say I'd track down the other two volumes.  Mission accomplished.  Say what you will, but Firebirds and Firebirds Rising have me more excited than anything else I've heard of or purchased in the past year and a half.

After a visit to the used book store came the library when I continued my 'young adult' exploration.  Upon entry, I was told by Carol, the librarian who gives me grief for a host of reason I deserve and some I've yet to aspire to earn, that I had three past due items.  Always feign ignorance in this situation; honesty gets you nowhere.  Once past the pleasantries I told her I needed ass-kicking young adult fiction, cause that's how I roll these days.  ( 'These days' being as of this morning.)

She looked at me suspiciously.  "Any exclusions?"

"No vampires, werewolves, or undead."  She left and I vainly tried to figure out what my past due books were.  (So many choices...)

When she returned she--somewhat forcibly--took my library card and checked out Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare and Graceling by Kristin Cashore on my behalf.  Then she stared me down until I left...

I surprised myself.  Saying I was interested in YA fiction then acquire four such books the next day.  I'm also really eager to start reading.

As in now...

No comments: