Friday, July 13, 2012

I Couldn't do it...

Here's a thing I never thought I'd say: I couldn't finish a book by Arturo Pérez-Reverte.  The Nautical Chart should have been cool.  The premise is great; the characters are strong and, in my case, I'm heavily endeared to the author.  (Pretty sure I've covered him way more than anyone else on my blog.)  It was the pace that was it's undoing.

I give every book I read fifty pages.  I gave this three times that amount, because of my past good experience with Pérez-Reverte.  I can say definitively I like his historical fiction more than his contemporary crime thrillers though I enjoyed The Flanders Panel a lot.

The Great 2012 Reading Rut continues...  

2 comments:

Marion said...

I had the same response to The Nautical Chart. Have you read Queen of the South? It's like a hybrid-- part the life story of a young Mexican woman, with a high-stakes shoot-out adventure at the end.

Chad Hull said...

Queen of the South is on the list but I haven't gotten there yet. The Nautical Chart was just not happening...