Wednesday, February 29, 2012

The Month in Review and of Things to Come

About those red shells... So, yeah; I'm kinda playing video games again: not by a 'gamers' definition, but way more than I have in the past five years.  It's fun and a great time killer.  Surprisingly, it hasn't taken away from my reading; which I guess means that I haven't been working a lot this past month.

I did read four books this month and even though I'm back up to my norm after an abysmal January I'm still not excited about reading.  No longer in a rut, but still rather apathetic.   I finished The Windup Girl by Paulo Bacigalupi, A model World by Michael Chabon, DawnThief by James Barclay and West African Folktales by Stephen H. Gale.  Chabon was expectantly brilliant though there were a few that made me scratch my head.  The book of folktales was more familiar than I was hoping for and adding to the repetition of familiarity was the simplicity of the stories presentation.  Not the author's fault by any means, but when you read a lot of fiction you come to expect some substantial development to make meager material really standout. 

Much like last month I've been doing a lot of writing lately which is a good thing but it certainly does take away from my time to read. 

As far as my reading goals for March go I've already started Daniel Martin by John Fowles, which is odd thus far considering my past reading of Fowles.  Gormenghast by Mervyn Peake has been staring me down since December and NoonShade by James Barclay is due back to the library in a twelve days.  I'll find something else soft and fluffy to read and aim high with three doorstoppers this month.  

No comments: