Sunday, May 1, 2011

The Month in Review and of Things to Come

I've been a very negligent blogger this past month.  Sorry.  I can't claim to have been busy, in fact I've had more free time this month than most, and that's not a good thing.  In March I promised reviews of all I'd read in April.  Which means I owe you my comments on Annabel Kathleen Winter and Dark Mondays by Kage Baker.  They are coming...


Dancing with Bears by Michael Swanwick was my only book acquisition for the month.  I actually pre-ordered, 'bought' it back in January.  I'll be reading it as soon as I get through The Corrections by Jonathan Frazen.  As I skipped a doorstopper last month I'll be doing double duty in May: Franzen being one, Firebrand by Marion Zimmer Bradley being the other.  I don't see any reason why I can't get through Stories of Your Life and Others by Ted Chaing in addition to everything else.  How's that for reading variety?  


I now own two hardback books from Night Shade Books and they are both very, very nice.  Not yet enough to do one of my book reviews but they are slightly better than the norm.  That said, I still hated the uber-deckled pages of  Catherynne Valente amazing, The  Habitation of the Blessed.  The book almost looked unfinished to my eyes.  I guess they can't do it all.


Bar Golf happened yesterday.  As always, it was great fun, lots of people, perfect weather.  I didn't play the score card assigned to me as I've previously eagled every hole on the course in past years.  I did a 'choose your own adventure' route with some other friends.  The end results were probably the same...  


Well that covers 'reading' and 'rum.'  As to 'red shells,' if you've been reading this blog for any amount of time you'll know I've never mentioned video games here as they completely fell out of my life about the time I started blogging.  I'll have to change that part in the header.  

No comments: