Friday, October 22, 2010

Shopping

More interesting that what I bought is what I passed over. The first thing I saw upon entering my favorite used book store was four books written by Joe Abercrombie. I've heard his name kicked around a lot and even though I've pretty much sworn off epic fantasy, if I could've picked up all the books at the used book price I would do it. I think the previous owner carelessly read each of those books no less than fifty times.

They weren't so much used, as in already read, rather worn-the-hell-out. There wasn't much holding any of those together so I passed on the lot. All in all, I didn't feel bad about leaving them there. I also passed on three books by James Barclay for the same reason. (I wouldn't be surprised if they had the same previous owner.) He's an author I'm going to give a try at some point in time even though he writes epic fantasy. I seem to come across his name mentioned in the same sentence as David Gemmell's more than any other writer so perhaps whenever I start reading his work, he'll make me remember why I first fell in love with epic fantasy.

I saw about twenty different books by Melanie Rawn; if I get back into epic fantasy, I know where to go to pick up my fix.

I ended up with some big books: only one coming in at less than four-hundred pages and rest clearing six-hundred with ease. The Pillars of the Earth by (the reportedly awesome) Ken Follett, The Magus, by (the assuredly awesome) John Fowles, The Magicians by (The aspiring awesome) Lev Grossman, The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by (The Awesome) Michael Chabon, Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco, and The Mammoth Book of Merlin editied by Mike Ashley comprised my purchase. $22.99 for two hardback and four trade paper backs all in great shape; I was proud of myself.

I'm most excited about the short story collection of all things. The author line up is stellar and I curious how Michael Swanwick can manage he particular brand of absurdly awesome into the Arthurian Legend.

I bought these books knowing I own about twenty that I haven't read, but I can honestly say, everything I bought was on the list. Considering the girth of my newest acquisitions I may need to cut down on my reading expectations for next year; that and reinforce my books shelves.

1 comment: